Saturday, July 13, 2013

Common Core Topic for Developing An Argument: Is Pressing Like Protected Free Speech?

I don't usually write about news or controversial articles on my blog, but I can't resist this one.  I read an online article "Is Liking Something On Facebook An Act Of Free Speech?" on WebProNews.
Facebook_like_button_thumb 1
"Last year, a Virginia judge ruled that a Facebook “like” is not protected by the First Amendment. The story goes like this: Deputy Sheriff Daniel Ray Carter of Hampton, Virginia “liked” the page of “Jim Adams for Hampton Sheriff.” Carter’s boss, Sheriff B.J. Roberts, saw this, and then when Roberts won the election against Adams, Carter was fired. Carter claimed it was the Facebook “like” that led to his termination. He sued, but the judge determined that a “like” is not protected free speech."  "Is Liking Something On Facebook An Act Of Free Speech?"
I like news articles, that's the essence of the article in the first paragraph. As I read the article, I got heated up inside because I press like a lot, but I am VERY careful on Facebook even though I no longer work for someone.  What do you think about this?
A year or two ago a friend of mine posted something on FB that caused people to talk about her loyalty to the organization that employed her.  She insisted that she was protected, and she could say whatever she wanted and not be fired for it.  Is that true?  Was she protected?
Another friend of mine posted a cartoon picture that I found offensive, and I jumped all over him about it.  My concern wasn't just that I was offended by the innuendo of the drawing, but he was a teacher, and I would hate to see him have problems in his school because it was posted.  He claimed he didn't post it.  Probably what happened was that he pressed LIKE and it automatically posted on his wall.  WHATEVER - there it was!  My thought about both friends was why kick yourself in the foot over something on FB?  Be careful what you post and what you LIKE!!!!  Nonetheless, would I have gone to battle for either of these friends?   ABSOLUtELY, I would!!!!
Now the question goes back to liking.  It seems like a small thing to press a like button, but is it?  Most importantly,do you think should you be constitutionally protected when you press like?  What does pressing like mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make history - comment here.