Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Woodlake Lions Club Building Hosts Rainbow Girls Circa 1957

Here are a couple of pictures shared with me after the book Images of America Woodlake went to the publisher.

Back in the day, these girls ruled the roost, so I'm told. The Woodlake Rainbow Girls met in what used to be the old skating rink.


Stan Livingston remembered skating there under the bright blue sky, he told me when I returned his wife's original pictures.

"I thought it was an inside skating rink," I said.

"No, the Woodlake Lions Club bought the property and built the building."

"Well, what did you do when it rained?"

"We didn't skate on those days."

As the Lions built the building, the Rainbow girls dressed in their formals and met in their hall. In the first picture the Lions had not finished the walls or ceiling, but by the second picture the building was complete.

Though I understand the building is scheduled for demolition, it still hosts many meetings. I belong to Kiwanis Club which meets there every Tuesday morning at 6:30. Kiwanians serve delicious, home-cooked, nutritious and sometimes sinful breakfasts, and host great speakers. If you believe in helping kids, and having fun with some of the most active people since the Rainbow Girls, you should join Kiwanis.

Speaking of Rainbow Girls, can you find anyone wearing a dress who you didn't know ever owned one? Does anyone besides me know who that tiny little under-aged Rainbowette is in the first picture?

Does anyone remember the Merchants? If you do, please let Sally Pace know.  If you know of other groups that meet or have met at the Lions Club Building or more about the Rainbow Girls, tell us about it in the comment section.

As always, you know the stories, I'm just the mouth.

Kind regards,
Taken at the Memorial Building in Woodlake
Marsha Ingrao

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make history - comment here.